Keep your pets away from: Chocolate, Raisins, Xylitol

With Halloween being tomorrow, pet owners are reminded to keep their pets away from chocolate and candy that can be severely harmful to them.

Keep your pets away from: Chocolate, Raisins, Xylitol

With Halloween being tomorrow, pet owners are reminded to keep their pets away from chocolate and candy that can be severely harmful to them.

“Chocolate contains a naturally occurring stimulant called theobromine, which is similar to caffeine,” said Dr. Sarah Nold, staff veterinarian at Trupanion. “If enough theobromine is ingested, it can be toxic to dogs and cats.”

Signs of chocolate toxicity can include vomiting, diarrhea, elevated heart rate and seizures. Darker chocolate is more dangerous, because it contains higher concentrations of theobromine.  Also, chocolate is more dangerous for a smaller dog because they don’t have to ingest as much as a larger dog to cause toxicity.

Pet owners should also keep treats containing the sugar substitute xylitol away from their pets. Xylitol causes a very low blood sugar that can result in weakness, collapse and seizures.

Advertisement


Video News
More In Front Page